Sunday, April 30, 2017

Have A Nye's Day

[establishing contact] Neuralink diagnostic, Shelob. Hardware damaged.

Your locator is functional. Standing by for emergency extraction if suitbot damage worsens. How was the event?

March of Science wasn't much of a march. Stood around, mostly.

Did you see Bill Nye's presentation?
 
Missed it because of security. Two @#$%^ hours to get in. Not exactly your dangerous crew. But the area has always feared people who think a lot.

Was there a riot? Looting?

No, no one gave me any trouble, except for the one woman who noticed my knee bend the wrong way. Had to blank her memory of that.

That would be why you couldn't stay inside. Did a counter-protestor damage your suitbot?

Oh. After, there was a mugging by a guy who thinks sci's make a lot of money. I had to make him imagine he found a small wad of twenties and a fake pay stub. Of course it'll 'disappear' the moment he reaches for it.

Your signal regulator is off frequency. Why did it take you so long to build this inferior transmitter?
 
I had to find the parts! I was rooting around for some antenna wire for the rig I'm wearing now when a woman accosted me demanding to know why I would go through her garbage. I told her "Had my equipment destroyed, and I don't make a senator's pay."

This ploy explained your need?
 
Actually it put her on the defensive. She was quick to point out that congressmen have to pay two mortgages. Well, why do they? Quite a number of hotels in the area would be happy for secure booking to become safe houses for congressmen. If Congress becomes any less popular, they'll need safe houses anyway. At $175,000.00 a year, I doubt they'll face that much hardship even WITH two mortgages. A surprising number of people are making it in this area making less than one third of that.

I don't know how they deal with it. Anyone making less than 35k in the ridiculously overblown metropolitan area probably deserves a hearty 'thank you' for all they do. Herr D is in that category. He's nowhere near the only one, just one of the most talented on top of being underpaid and underappreciated. I'll be 'limping' home soon, Shelob. Maintain locator contact only. [sign off]

[upload, disconnect]

No comments:

Post a Comment