Thursday, August 10, 2023

Helping The Helpless Shouldn't Be Hopeless

 

"Bootstraps" by Herr D on Paint3d. This was originally intended for a different theme, but seemed appropriate.-Shelob

[cursing muffled by distance from laptop, followed by footsteps, noises of sitting on couch, picking up laptop, tapping keys, and an exclamation] I thought I turned this off? You did. What were the multiple phone calls about?

I've been trying to get information about guardianship. Your special needs relative.

Yes. I have to try to become [NAME REDACTED -- their] guardian. This takes eleven phone calls?

[exhalation] Apparently many more than that. Legal Aid says we make too much money for free legal advice and lawyer services, and we make too little money to afford a lawyer. Why do guardians require lawyers?

That's another thing. In America, even though it usually is a bad idea, a person has the right to represent themselves. The people at the courthouse don't seem to think there IS a way to file for guardianship without a lawyer. They couldn't even tell me what forms to ask for. They gave me more phone numbers. Where do you file these forms?

In the courthouse. That's what's so stupid about this. They work there and don't know what I need to know. They want me to call volunteer organizations. They work there and they're sending me somewhere else to find out what to do. So you need to file forms in a place that cannot help you without help they would recommend, and they don't know how to help you, and you are doing this for someone who cannot help themselves?

[snort] yes One of the problems with reality is that there is no solution. Another problem is that there is no punchline. Good luck. [exits]

No comments:

Post a Comment