Saturday, June 18, 2022

Helpfulness Is The Real Article, Despite Stupidity

"Service With A Smile" by Herr D, heromachine.com. Some good is less costly than other good.-Shelob
 

Explain feelings on this article? https://getpocket.com/explore/item/the-five-universal-laws-of-human-stupidity?utm_source=pocket-newtab

Article's good but for the graph. Cibola's graph is pretty good, but I disagree with his word choice in the upper left quadrant. [references "Stupidity, graphed"] What is wrong with 'helpless?'

Sometimes those are the HELPFUL  people. Missionaries, martyrs to causes, etc. You can never underestimate the good a person does their soul through altruism, right? Generosity is not a bad thing. Far from it. Even tax law has a place for it, not that I've made enough to be able to give enough for it to matter to me. [3.173 seconds pass] Your IRS file corroborates that assessment. Yet you have donated to charity.

[jerking laptop] ay! don't be poking around like that!  Noted. Why do you donate when you are so close to the poverty level yourself?

[exasperated sound] There ARE people in much greater need than myself. I can't give money most of the time. Donating goods that my family doesn't need gets more out of the landfill even if it doesn't help people much.  I haven't donated time recently--don't have to spare. Skills, advice, a symathetic ear? When I can. When I was younger and much healthier I donated blood a lot. And this helps your soul?

Well, I do feel good about myself after, so, probably. There're multiple Bible passages that mention tithing, good works, etc. What word would you use instead of 'helpless?'

Loss-takers--because sometimes it's voluntary and sometimes it's for immeasurable-and un-measurable good. Good.

No comments:

Post a Comment